Saturday, October 20, 2007

Miller in Shivajinagar


All around Bangalore there are traditional millers still operating their mills as a service for the neighborhood. People buy fresh grain (wheat and rice as well as grams/beans) and bring them to the miller for processing.

Sometimes they mix up a special blend of grains, add in some spices (chilies, curry leaves) and process the whole thing for a particular dish.

This man in Shivajinagar was very proud to show me his business. With the left hand he adjusts the fineness of the grind (mostly by listening to the sound of the wheels) and with the right hand he feeds the grain into the grinder.

We communicated with smiles and sign-language over the screeching of the machinery. I'm not sure we could have communicated any other way. I suspect he is deaf if not nearly deaf. The mill was so loud my ears were hurting and I was only in there for a few minutes.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: