Monday, September 07, 2009

Tartiflette in Bangalore

It sounded like a good idea, and overall it was a lot of fun, but 24 hours later, I'm not sure it was the best thing for my body.

Last night we headed to a nearby hotel last night for a "French Cheese Club" meeting.  The food was (of course) awesome.  Greeted by a tray of yummy sangria just after going through the door and having flowers pinned on and photos taken, we were then bombarded with a non-stop offering of tiny squares of quiche, (ham, salmon, tuna, vegetable) and other lighter goodies. 

Then came the main course, tartiflette.  Not something I eat regularly, but I have had it in France during ski season. It's remarkably like my mother's "scalloped potatoes" recipe from the 1950's Bettie Crocker cookbook.  But unlike my Mom's, it's made with really nice (ahem, French) strong cheese, (Reblochon) and it's delicious.  They provided an excellent simple salad (the french do this right...) and bread accompaniments.

With unlimited wine.

Let me say that again. 

Unlimited wine. 

In India. 

(And it wasn't some sour Sula stuff either.  The white wasn't bad.)

So, after one large plate of yummy food and about 4 glasses of wine, it didn't take much to convince me of another plate of the potatoes-and-cheese heart-stopper.

Which then made a couple more glasses of wine obligatory. 

Which then gave me no chance at all of making a 7am bike ride.  And no chance at all of feeling healthy this Sunday.

Today I'm paying penance for unlimited wine, cheese, and potatoes.  Worth it?  Probably.

No comments: